Thursday, December 1, 2016

REVIEW: Gnaw Their Tongues - Hymns for the Broken, Swollen and Silent

 https://heathenharvest.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/gnaw-their-tongues-hymns-for-the-broken-swollen-and-silent.jpg
Filthy disturbing sludgey blackened depressive metal atrocities from my favourite Netherlander, the mighty Gnaw Their Tongues.  Sorry, I gush a bit in this one, but I do so love Mr Tongues' horrifying aural vistas.  Review scribbled for Heathen Harvest, and not very edited by the everloving Sage Weatherford.

"The art I love most of all comes embedded with a very specific kind of unavoidable challenge, namely:  The art I love most of all is art that surprises and/or shocks me in some way, giving me something that I have never experienced before.  The unavoidable challenge of such art is, once I’ve been surprised and/or shocked by a project, how can it ever do that again?  When a huge part of a band’s appeal is its ability to pioneer new ground, can it still do that for a second release—or a third?  Or, in Gnaw Their Tongues’s case, a fortieth?  Well, gosh darn it and blast me to heck, but I do believe it can."

Gnaw Their Tongues - Hymns for the Broken, Swollen and Silent

No comments:

Post a Comment